Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 9

So last night was just one of those magical nights that happen when you are somewhere that you know you are just never going to forget. Clayton and I actually cooked dinner for ourselves last night. A lovely but simple dish of fish and rice. Then we decided to go see what was going on down the hill. After wondering around for a bit I suddenly began to hear the refrain from a particular Jazz song that I knew. It was Janine by Manhattan Transfer. It took a minute but were finally able to locate the source. Tucked into a somewhat random building call the Plaza de Colonial there I found the source of my curiosity. I was not however prepared for the treat that awaited me. Inside was none other than Richie Cole. Now if you don't know who Richie Cole is check out richiecole.com and that will get you updated. Not only that but the people that he had playing with him were unbelievable. Credits for the Band include; Santana, the Greatful Dead, Janis Joplin, Count Basie, Van Morrison, Chic Correa, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn and the list goes on. Even locals that we talked to said this type of lineup never happens. Needless to say it was an incredible show. Then last night after we leave and walked to meet some friends the town square was teeming with people. Music laughter and cheers permeated the air in a kind of communal euphoria. Oh and I almost forgot. We were treated to one of the most beautiful sunsets that I have ever seen. The picture is unfortunately not going to do it justice but perhaps it will give you a glimpse. Tomorrow we are going to a hot springs with some friends. One thing that I did find out for all the ladies reading. Johnny Depp apparently has a house here. Once Upon a Time in Mexico was filmed here and he loved it so much he bought a house. The play is almost finished. Just a little more editing and a couple of more pases and the first draft will be done. It's hard to believe that it has gone this fast! I felt inspired to write a poem so I have included that as well today. With that I will leave you. Until next time. Thanks so much for reading!

San Miguel

How is it that I find myself here?
a soft soul shuffling its way through these narrow streets.
i am lead by a memory of a song once sung
winding it's way past wooden doors and concrete walls
here there is a voice and a rhythm not unlike my own
filtered through the dust of five hundred years
worn but still heaving it's chest inward then back again
the bells of the parroquia call out to me
the heartbeat of the hills echoed back upon itself
come and let the cool night air embrace you, it says
come down to me and touch my face
come and stand with eyes closed and arms outstretched
fingers splayed.
hear the laughter of my people
the song of my past and
the fragrance of my land
here you can be heard by being silent
found by being lost
and healed by letting go.






1 comment:

  1. Wow! Fish and Rice and a Godshow! Makes me miss you so much Clayton! Congrats to you both on being close to completing your mission!

    ReplyDelete