Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 2

Rain, rain go away. So even though I knew that I was coming here during the rainy season I don't think that I was prepared for just how much it was going to rain. So needless to say I am not exactly getting a tan. Case in point. Clayton and I decided that to be a bit more economical that we should go shopping and buy some groceries. So we hailed a taxi and off we went to the super market. It was fun to see all of the American brands retitled with their spanish translations. None of which I can remember at this point unfortunately. For the most part it went pretty smoothly until we started to hear just hard it was raining outside and of course they don't sell umbrellas. However, there was a place down the street that did. A department store called Liverpool of all things. So off I ran into the rain ducking under awnings where possible. Liverpool, I soon discover, is a very high end store something a kin to Lord and Taylor but they also sell motorcycles. Yeah. Motorcycles. So with a little bit of wandering around I finally find the object of my desire. That is until I check to see how much they are. $330 pesos. Thats roughly $30. Now you may be thinking; wow that must be some amazing contraption of anti rain technology. Perhaps with some type of Dyson like gadget that is self drying or at least has a spanish greeting when you open it. "Hola! Esta llobiendo!" ("Hello. It's raining!") You would be sadly, sadly mistaken. Think the vendors outside grand central when it rains. Should have been $5 tops, but it's pouring and we are a long way from home. Plus I need one for Clayton as well. So you guessed it I got two of the crappy $30 umbrellas. Not only are they poorly made and insanely over priced but they come in a lovely pastel because the only ones they had were women's. I finally make my way back to the supermarket a little drier and a little poorer. Now the logic that we both had was that we took a cab here and we saw several others, so it should only make sense that we could catch a cab back. Riiiiiiiiiiiight. After almost an hour of standing and two verbal altercations with other people trying to get cabs we finally made our soggy way back to numero dulce sierra gorda. So ended the great supermarket expedition, but hey I did get some Ritz crackers out of the deal. So I suppose it wasn't a total loss.


Film Festival:
Again last night we watched several of the films in the main square. One that was really incredible was a Spike Jonze submission called "I'm Here". Several others were also quite good, including a German skateboarding film with the protagonist being a field ant. As well as a Chinese film that was a C.G.I wonder. You can check out the official page here www.expresionencorto.com.
It has been an amazing stroke of luck that we have been able to be here at the same time.

The Play:
So we decided on a working title last night "The Roommate". We also made progress and wrote the opening scene. We will see if it holds up in the light of the day so to speak. In Moss Heart's autobiography "Act One" he says that the scariest moment for any playwright is to write the words Act One Scene One. That is pretty accurate so far. Once we got the ball rolling however it seem to be a little easier. Clayton and I work very well together and have that ability to be brutally honest with one another and not take it personally. We could not have asked for a better space to create either. We have everything we need right in one small place. Right now we are making breakfast, listening to Ben Harper, drinking coffee and brainstorming for what's next. With that I will leave you for now but fear not I will post more soon. Until then friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment