Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 1


So day one has far exceeded my expectations for what I possibly could have ever imagined. I flew into Leon with no problems and then it was an hour and a half drive to reach San Miguel. The drive through the countryside was actually a nice respite after traveling all day with my fellow man whom it seemed none had ever flown before. So needless to say it was not the most relaxing experience that I have had. The wait was well worth it! The best way I can describe the small winding cobblestone streets of San Miguel is to imagine San Francisco on crack. Some of the hills are amazingly steep. Even on foot they can be challenging much less in a car. There are times that you literally have to stand in a doorway so that a car can pass you. Needless to say most of the streets are one way due to just how narrow they are. The people here are extremely friendly and many times while walking you will receive a salutation. Approximately one out of every fifty people that you see are "gringos". Which I learned last night that the term comes from the Mexican people telling American forces who were clad in green uniforms to go. "green-go!" It's sort of their version of a black and tan I suppose. Despite that I have felt very welcome here and extremely safe despite what is going on in the rest of the country. This city seems to exist in it's own sort of bubble that is untouched by the rest of the world.
After spending some time wandering around the city we discovered that this weekend just happens to be the San Miguel International Film Festival. Dozens of films are being screened throughout the city. One of the more interesting things that will be shown is a horror film that will be screened in a cemetery! We sat in the main square "the Jardin" last night and watched several films. I was amazed at the sheer quality of what was being shown. Particularly a film called di-plo-ma-cy. If you can find it online I highly recommend that you check it out. As you can see in the photo to the left the Parish church dominates most of the landscape here in San Miguel. However last night the promoters of the film festival
did something that I have never seen before that left
me amazed that the creativity of the human spirit. They set up multiple high intensity lasers and projected them onto
the church telling the story of the Mexican
revolution. The church was built in 1706 and then the ornate stonework was added in 1880. You can see the scaffolding of the screen for the film festival to the right. Later I will be doing a separate post just on the interior of the church. I was lucky enough to be able to go inside and take some pictures. From what I understand it is only open a couple of times throughout the year so I was very lucky to get to see
the interior which I promise will not disappoint.
Something that was not expected nor was I prepared for was just how incredible the food is here. It rivals anything that I have had back in the states. I will leave that for another blog though. I am going to do my best to be as diligent as possible about posting each day so be sure to check back often. Future posts will include excerpts from he play that my cohort and I are writing as well as more on the food, the main parish, film festival, parks, and some day excursions to the surrounding areas. Until then my friends! Thanks for reading and tell all your friends.
























No comments:

Post a Comment